Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Wash rinse repeat





This is a manual washing machine. Mine is particularly manual because the hose letting the water into the tub doesn’t fit onto the machine, so I have to hold it there myself while the tub fills.  You have to turn the water on and off at the faucet at the appropriate time.  You take the left hand cover off and put your clothes and detergent in and set the wash time.  When that finishes, you set it to drain the water in the tub.  After that, you take the clothes out and put them in the right hand spin side of the machine.  Wringing is helpful though taxing.  Then you set the spin time.  Then you repeat the process for rinsing the clothes.








 The drain hose from the washer just goes to a hole in the porch.  I assume there’s some pipe attached to it underneath.  But many of the water conduits do not have full piping from faucet to drain. I have opted to brush my teeth in the kitchen because at least the sink drain is connected to a pipe.  The sink drain in the bathroom is connected to nothing.  The water just runs onto and across the floor towards the general drain hole for the shower.  I guess the toilet is properly piped….
Dryers are not common. Every apartment building has an open roof where people hang their wash to dry.  Unfortunately for me, it is up another flight of these steep, slightly slanted cement stairs with no handrail and the thought of walking up carrying a basket of wet wash is daunting.
I have a clothes “wire” strung across the back porch.  They gave me six clothespins, but I’m sure I can get more somehow.  Of course, the wire is somewhat rusted and will probably stain my clothes.  The sun does shine on the porch for several hours in the morning, there is a constant breeze, and the air is particularly dry.
An unsolicited dryer showed up here the other day.  There wasn't really any place for it, so it's sitting in the 2nd bedroom and vented into the second bathroom, not the window, mind you, just the bathroom.
So I’m washing clothes about every 3rd day because that is all the room there is in the washer and on the line.  I won’t really need all that underwear that I brought.  I’m thinking about the extra roll of toilet paper I could have packed.
On an unrelated washing machine note, I saw ads for a 'unisex' washing machine while in the airport in Delhi.  On checking into it, I found that this is a new ploy to get men to do the wash at home.  When washing machines first came out, all the buttons were simplified because women were too 'stupid' to understand how to use them.  Now it seems that men are too 'stupid', thus, the unisex washing machine.


2 comments:

  1. I promise I will never complain about the functionality of my washer machine. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, this is where your creative juices on how to accomplish those basic tasks the easiest and best way comes into play. missing u, vida

    ReplyDelete