Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Third world internet

In a word, slow.  There is wifi in my apartment most of the time, but not always.  Sometimes the proxy server fades out.  Sometimes the electricity goes out.  There is a generator which I can make use of, but I have to go outside my apartment and throw a switch on the meter.  Then, when the electric comes back on, I have to go out and switch it back again.  Anyway, the generator has to be running for that system to work.  Everyone talked about hearing the generator running, and when it finally did, there was a low, constant hum, quite discernible from my kitchen. Of course, if the electric is out, the wifi doesn’t work, but even after it is restored, it still doesn’t work because someone needs to reset the proxy servers and that doesn’t always happen right away, especially over the weekend.
The best signal is in the admin building, which is where all the classes are held.  I have sufficient signal here to actually receive text messages on my phone, but not enough for skype.  I experimented with one choppy call; it’s not really functional for communication.  Anyway, the admin building is open only from 9:30 pm through 5:30 am EST, so it’s not practical for calls.  My regrets to Hebrew learners who were promised lessons while I was away.
In the admin building, I have to use safari.  In the apartment, with the proxy server, I have to use firefox.  If I'm in the admin building, I can get youtube, but not in my apartment.  And so it goes.

As for me, I am having sort of a media fast, enjoying lots of sunshine and spectacular views of the mountains, which I am sure are better for my mental, physical, and spiritual health.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for giving us a taste and feel of life far far away. May Yah strengthen you and continue to open doors and minds. sandy

    ReplyDelete