Wednesday, January 18, 2017

kosher meals on air india


I like to order kosher meals on the airlines.  They’re usually a bit better (I had delicious sea bass on the Air France flight to Delhi), you tend to get served first and you don’t have to worry about getting some weird thing that you don’t want to eat.  However, it seems that Air India doesn’t really comprehend what kosher means.  Coming into Calcutta in the morning, I was offered a tray with an apple and a banana surrounded by miles of saran wrap.  Problem was, I was really hungry by that time so I asked for the omelet meal that everyone else was having and they obliged and gave me a regular meal as well.  
The snack on the flight to Aizawl is always pitiful: some tiny sandwich on white bread (with the crusts removed), the filling being something vaguely resembling cream cheese and pieces of cucumber.  I suspect the small sandwiches are the result of the British influence.  It seems that everyone here eats such sandwiches for lunch.  For my kosher counterpart, I was offered some boxed mango juice with the banana, apple and orange, again wrapped in the requisite saran wrap.

I guess their understanding is that the food is supposed to be kept separate from other food and that fruit is always kosher, not offensive to anyone.
So if you are ever in the position to fly in this area, just get the Hindu meal.  It will be strictly vegetarian, although maybe a bit spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment