Monday, March 6, 2017

Passover for 200

Shalom, friends.
Today I simply ask for your prayers for a Passover demonstration that I will do on Friday at 3:00 pm (Thursday 4:30 am east coast time).  All the students, faculty, and staff are invited.  If everyone shows up, it will be about 200 people.
I am so blessed that YH has opened the door for this to happen.  Almost since the day I arrived, the Old Testament faculty have been asking about it.  I actually packed one box of matzah which I will break into teeny, tiny pieces to use for the afikomen.
I was concerned about the horseradish because there is nothing like it here.  However, as I started to think about it, I realized that it is a very eastern European food. I began to research the history of maror and found a very detailed article online. http://halachicadventures.com/history-of-maror-and-horse-raddish/  Turns out, horseradish in no way fits the rabbinic parameters for the bitter herb.  They have something here which is called bitter gourd and looks like this:
Like everything else, they boil it and eat it cold.  I tasted some yesterday and it really is bitter.  We bought three kilograms today, along with 4 kilos of apples, which I am going to pressure cook and add cinnamon as a modified haroset.  The OT faculty are going to buy I don't know how many kilos of goat for their wives to roast in the small things which pass for ovens here.  It seems that lamb is too difficult to get.  The cook in the canteen is going to make us paratha, a flat, unleavened bread.
No big meal, just the essence of what Passover is, with a big emphasis on the new covenant and their understanding of communion.  Of course, as Mizo people love to sing, I will teach them 'dayenu' and 'hodu l'adonai ki tov'.  How can I resist singing 'hodu' in India?
Please pray that all would go smoothly and that blind eyes would be opened.
Thank you so much.


3 comments:

  1. Exciting! We will be praying. Ssmith

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Marcy yippee. how did it go? I apologize for not emailing u very much. Please forgive me. we are feeling the pinch of my director not replacing the employee that left and i have been doing pt exercises at nite.

    we are missing u and ask denita to tell us what's going on. she was so happy you called her!

    ReplyDelete